An Unknown
As I walked into the garden , my eyes immediatly noticed the intensity of light drop from a torrid white to a more mellow blue filtering down throught the now dense foilage ,in contrast to the shieldless sky , except for the odd cloud of course.I walked at a slow yet calculated pace scanning the surroundings , which I must mention where not entirely new to me yet not familar either.I have been here before once.. a few days ago I was here.. yet now it is strangely differrent , yes it has rained and ,the soil has retained a certain moistness as cotton would if placed in front of an airconditioner in a humid coastal city .It is strangely differrent as I already said not to sound redundant but it is I tell you as I can't put my finger on the reason.. & Yes then it was morning and now it is mid afternoon.
Under the apparrent shade of the somewhat tall , aged dense woody tropical trees sat people some in pairs , some in threes and some in larger groups , yet some like me where here alone.
Lovers seemed sitting on dense unkept grass , some in deep conversation others in deeper mood of silence.. but This should not preoccupy me , I was here for a reason,.
I was here to find a place where I would rest my self to peer into rather large technical book and study.After about minutes in the this unfamiliar yet growingly familar place I found my self at what seemed to be raised stone plinth. In the centre to be which , appeared to look like a memorial from far which on closer investigation was a grave...in the shape of a cross on this elevated surface..I sat my self on the stone plinth and worked on my as I mentioned on my "rather large" textbook. At first I didn't notice this strange marble cross on the ground ... But as time walked by my eyes fell on the the following inscription..
"BORN MELROSE SOUTH AUSTRALIA NOVEMBER 13 1856 AND DIED AT THIS SPOT OF CHOLERA AT THIS VERY SPOT JANUARY 1886"
Curiosity got the better of me , as I got up walk around this central object and on the other side inscribed on the dark stone
" IN THE SACRED MEMORY OF THE LOVED"
I did a rough calculation in my head the person in questiom was or is 30(not got beyond 30 atleast) when he/she had died of cholera as I already mentioned..
A name came then came to sight a name Alice Richman on the front end was inscribed..
As went back to my place and then to my book.
I began to think and a question resonated in my mind
Who is Alice Richman?


-----
-----

sorry for apparent typos// i will correct them as time goes by..
more next time




Hi, We are templateify, we create best and free blogger templates for you all i hope you will like this blogify template we have put lot of effort on this template, Cheers, Follow us on: Facebook & Twitter

1 comments:

Unknown said...

It's in the Pune University Garden!!!! Yup

But thinking back I thing it may be a memorial rather than grave though...
You from Pune